In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
It’s that time of year again… the holidays are here!
And for many, the holidays just aren’t the same without snow.
Some of us live in regions where snow is hard to come by.
So what do you do if you — or the kids — are hoping for some snow, but it just doesn’t look like any white stuff will be falling at your home?
You guessed it, make fake snow! (It’s very realistic, as seen in the photo above.)
So, if the real stuff just isn’t coming your way anytime soon — and you’ve already tried these 7 tricks to make it snow — why not order up a batch of the next best thing? Fake snow is really easy to make.
Here’s how to make fake snow at home…
#1 Purchase Snow in Seconds.
Snow in seconds is an “As Seen on TV” product that closely resembles real snow.
It’s the same product that is used on movie sets when they need to make snow!
All you do is add water, and you’ve instantly got what looks and feels like real snow.
You can put it on your trees or wreaths outside, and you can even make snowmen with it.
#2 Buy Insta-Snow.
Insta-snow powder is another fake snow product that looks super realistic.
You just add water to create mounds of fluffy white snow.
The powdery snow flakes expand to 100 times their original size!
You can even use Instasnow to decorate indoors.
#3 Rent or buy a snow machine.
This one is a little bit more expensive, but the snow from a snow machine actually looks the most realistic.
In fact, the ski industry makes snow this way — as seen here:
With a snow machine, water is cooled to just above the freezing point and then it’s pumped under high pressure through the nozzle of the snow gun — thus creating snow.
Normally, fans or compressed air are used to keep the snow from being too wet.
#4 Purchase the amazing snowman.
This one is my favorite.
It’s a 30-inch tall snowman that shoots snowflakes 20 feet into the air.
What I like the most is that you can use it indoors!
Can you imagine the look on kids’ faces?
#5 – #12 Make snow with things you have at home.
There are lots more frugal, old-fashioned ways to make fake snow.
All it takes is a little imagination.
For example, to make your own fake snow you can use things like:
- Paper pieces to make fake snow
- Soap flakes fake snow recipe
- Baking soda snow recipe
- Powder and sugar fake snow recipe
- Liquid soap recipe for fake snow
- Potato flakes recipe for fake snow
- Baby diapers fake snow recipe
- Plastic bags recipe for fake snow
- If you use mashed potato flakes, keep in mind that they can draw bugs. So to be careful where you put them.
- If you use white paper, you’ll want to make sure it has no print on it. Otherwise, it will be obvious what it is.
- If you use soap flakes, be careful where you put them. If they get water on them, any cloth-covered items could get soapy.
- If you have little kids or pets, don’t forget that the soap flakes and plastic pieces can be a choking hazard. So keep the fake snow high enough up where the kids and pets can’t get to it.
I personally like the idea of using little pieces of white plastic bags — because it’s a way to re-use plastic bags that might otherwise end up in a landfill.
I thought it was important to include ideas for all wallet sizes.
So, now you know how you can have snow on the holidays even if you live somewhere that it is 80 degrees in December!
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.