Believe it or not, September 23 and September 24 mark 5 years since the landfall of one of the strongest hurricanes on records — and we’re not talking about Hurricane Katrina.
Let’s look at some devastating facts about Hurricane Rita:
- Hurricane Rita was the 4th-strongest Atlantic hurricane currently on record.
- Rita became the 3rd Category 5 Atlantic hurricane in 2005.
- Sustained winds in the storm reached as high as 180 MPH.
- 120 people died in the storm.
- Damages from Hurricane Rita totaled over $10 billion.
More About 2005′s Hurricane Rita